Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy Birthday!


Silencing the Guns by Jim Dietz

Found this on Blackfive

The "Paratrooper of Love" wishes MAJ Dick Winters a happy 90th birthday.

For those of you who have seen the HBO mini series "Band of Brothers", MAJ Winters was, among other things the commander of Easy Company 506th PIR during the Normandy invasion.

At this site there is a link to a petition to upgrade the Distinguished Service Cross Maj Winters received to the Medal of Honor.

I have linked a video below of the Cable TV version of those events.



This show is the best thing I have ever seen TV/ Movies you name it in regards to presenting the soldier and his experience in that particular war. Obviously I'm not a WWII veteran, so I can't comment on the overall accuracy, but the tone and feel of it was so well done. I can watch this series over and over again. If you've never seen it go out and rent or buy it NOW.

On a related note I have always wondered what CPT Spears received for his actions that day in Belgium when he took over command of Easy company in the middle of combat and then raced through German lines to affect a link up with friendly forces on the other side of town, only to return through the same German lines after the link up was achieved. That to me was the other defining moment of this show.

Labels: , ,

|