Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Uh, OK

Because I'm in the Army and have been for 20 years now, the kind of people I tend to associate with and my worldview skews somewhat to the more conservative side. That is not to say there aren't liberals in the Army, because there are. There's some of everything under the sun in the Army. Generally though, people tend to be more conservative than not.

I attended a conference held at the Texas National Guard HQ in Austin TX today. On my way there I saw my first Obama bumper sticker...in Austin. Can't say I've seen any around Fortress Hood. I'm sure they are out there but I haven't seen them.

Speaking of Austin, Harry Knowles from Ain't It Cool News is from Austin. For those who don't know Austin is the San Fransisco of Texas. That might explain Mr. Knowles review of the movie, "Recount"...


Fantastic film. As someone that feels that this 2000 Election forever fucked America – this film doesn’t overly skew to Democrats – but it does put a magnifying glass on a really fucked up nightmarish clown show of an election procedure in the limp dick of the United States. The film makes me so fucking angry, but I’m giving my copy to someone else, because if you watch this film too many times – you’ll find yourself just a bitter pissy bastard that does nothing but looking back and dreaming of a different world. Would the World Trade Center still be standing with a different President? Would our Economy still be in the shitter? Would we be at War in two countries? All of this might have happened under Al’s watch, but I don’t think so. I think we would be better served to concentrate on the current election and make sure that we don’t get more of the same that we’ve had for the last 8 years. And by the way – this is a fantastic film!


Like I said above, I don't swim in liberal circles. I know they exist. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions...that's their right.

The problem I do have is with someone who is so exasperatingly stupid that they would fool themselves into thinking that if only Al Gore was the President of the United States on September 11, 2001 the terrorists who planned and took over airliners and flew them into buildings in New York City and Washington DC wouldn't have done so. And this is because they hate George W. Bush and not America and what it stands for? That Islamic terrorists don't want to wipe those who don't agree with them off the face of the earth...they just hate Dubya?

It truly is a great country that a person so mind numbingly stupid can make a living doing something he loves (watching movies and commenting on same). When I say that I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really believe that. What is not so great is that person's grasp on reality. Oh well, I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, but it is sad.

Labels:

|