Friday, March 07, 2008

Remember The Alamo

From the Texican Tattler

On this day in 1836 the Alamo was lost...

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world

Fellow Citizens & Compatriots

I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the command with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due his own honor & that of his country. VICTORY or DEATH.

William Barret Travis(1)
Commandancy of the Alamo, BĂ©xar
Feby. 24, 1836


VICTORY OR DEATH!
RIP Defenders of the Alamo.

Labels:

|