Friday, October 19, 2007

Anecdotal Evidence

I guess I'm a little late at this nay saying the naysayers when it comes to the war here in merry old Iraq. But better late than never I always say...besides it's not like they are listening or anything.

I know in the past I have used the quote that there are lies, damned lies and statistics, but I saw an interesting stat today, and for several weeks now as a matter of fact.

Being an aviator in Uncle Sugar's Army means that I get to receive, gratis, an intelligence briefing...every single day of the week if I so desire. Ahhh, the perks of being a soldier!

One of the many slides they show us is a slide called "SIG ACTS", that is significant activity in the area of operations in the last 24 hours. Lately that side has been pretty barren. Just how barren becomes apparent when the slide from today is compared against the slide depicting SIG ACTS from a year ago today...it is easily a 50% or more reduction in enemy action. This is not just today, but for several weeks now.

Is this the SURGE working? Is AQI taking a well deserved R&R only to return just in time for the holiday season? Hell, I don't know. What I do know is that we have a lot less to do today than we did when we got here over a year ago...and by most people's definition that would be progress.

But what do I know, I just work here.

Labels:

|