Sunday, February 25, 2007

It's Oscar Night...

...and I really don't care. But "The Wolf" over at BLACKFIVE is blogging about his favorite military movies and he wants your input as well.

Here are the ones I picked from way back in October '05...

I thought I would list my 10 favorite military themed movies...in no particular order. I am obviously not Roger Ebert (if I was I wouldn't be able to get into the cockpit) so don't expect a review or reason why I like each one...I just do. If you don't like them or never heard of them I'm sorry get over it, it is after all my list. If you would like put your list in the comments section.

So, here it is:

1. Twelve O'Clock High: I find this WWII movie starring Gregory Peck a great example about the pressures of command and a good illustration of the effort of the 8th AF in Europe.

2. To Hell And Back: Starring Audie Murphy as himself. If you read the citation of the final event depicted in this film you know it doesn't do justice to the acts he performed that day. This film begs to be remade. If you don't know who Audie Murphy was knock out 20 and look it up...every American should know about him and those like him.

3. Pork Chop Hill: Another Gregory Peck movie this time dealing with the actions that took place on Pork Chop Hill during the Korean War.

4. Patton: George C. Scott as the title character. Worth watching just for the speech at the beginning. But the entire movie captures the charter of this enigmatic general, tactical genius and egomaniac.

5. Stripes: Bill Murray goes to boot camp. If you can't watch this movie and laugh there is something wrong with you. Filmed at FT Knox, KY.

6. No Time For Sergeants: Another boot camp film this time with Andy Griffith as the hayseed that wants to be in the Infantry.

7. Rough Riders: A made for TV movie starring Tom Beringer as Teddy Roosevelt. I believe it's around fours hours in length and worth every minute of it. I enjoy this movie every time I watch it.

8. The Big Red One: Detailing a squad in the 1st Infantry division's travels through WWII. Starring Lee Marvin as the Platoon SGT, and Mark Hamel as on of the soldiers. A Private Ryan before there was a Private Ryan.

9. Band of Brothers: Yeah it's an HBO mini-series and not a movie but it's my list and I can do what I want. Besides it the best thing ever produced about WWII. Just an awsome production that captures the essence of soldiers.

10. Saving Private Ryan: I thought about not including this...simply because over time the tactical innacuracies and made up premise have begun to bug me more and more. But for the sheer impact this movie had the first time I saw it. This movie can't be matched. In the theater I saw this film you could hear a pin drop it was that quiet. EARN THIS!

Others of note: The Green Berets: Starring John Wayne; The Devils Brigade: Starring William Holden; The Hunters: Starring Robert Wagner and recently appearing on a screen near you, The Great Raid wasn't too bad. There are many more but these are a few of my favorites. I look forward to seeing yours as well. A list of the worst will follow soon.



So what say you?

Labels: , ,

|