Saturday, June 24, 2006

Citizens Arrest! Citizens Arrest!

The charter member of the Barney Fife Fan Club, Shannon Ireland Chapter made an appearance recently. MORE HERE H/T LGF!

SIX United States soldiers on their way home from service in Iraq were placed under citizen’s arrest after an anti-war activist spotted them walking around a town in their uniforms.

Shannon-based peace activist Conor Cregan said yesterday that he briefly detained the six on Thursday afternoon after finding them walking on the Limerick Road leading out of Ennis. “I placed the soldiers under citizen’s arrest because these soldiers are not supposed to be walking freely on the streets of Ireland in uniform. It is a breach of the Irish Constitution and Irish neutrality,”he said.

The six were part of a group of 238 troops who were forced to stay overnight on Thursday in due to technical problems experienced by their aircraft at Shannon airport. They were staying at the West County Hotel in Ennis and met Mr Cregan near the hotel on a public footpath.


If it had been me on my return from Iraq, this character might have got a taste of the Irish blood in my veins...I don't think I would have been as polite as these soldiers seem to have been...on the other hand...I'm full of it, I probably wouldn't have done anything myself. Anyway these guys now have quite the story to tell their families, what a boob.
|