Thursday, November 27, 2008

One Year Ago...Happy Thanksgiving


A year ago about this time I was standing in a line at the dining facility (DFAC) in Camp Taji Iraq awaiting my serving of processed turkey and an attempt at cornbread dressing. God Bless them for trying but to mangle a quote from Apocalypse Now, "The more they tried to make it feel like home, the further away we seemed to be."

I think the feelings were compounded because it was my second Thanksgiving away from home in a row and the fourth in five years I hadn't been able to spend with my loved ones. For someone who loves his turkey and dressing as much as I do, that REALLY sucks.


Don't get me wrong I appreciate all the time and effort expended by the DFAC and the staff, and there were some moments I'll always remember, like the young female soldier inappropriately dressed as Pocahontas. I don't think they meant for her to look quite that sexy. And it seemed to me that it was almost on the edge of a war crime that they had the contract workers (whom I would guess were almost 100% Muslim) to wear Pilgrim outfits (sorry I don't have pictures).

Anyway, today or tomorrow or whenever you read this try and say a little prayer for everyone who is overseas serving our nation this holiday season. They are doing all they do for you...and that is something to truly be thankful for.

Labels: ,

|