Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I was driving to the store today and saw the sticker below on the window of the vehicle in front of me...





...for some reason it really started to piss me off. Don't get me wrong being a Soldier's wife isn't easy. I have met some wonderful women during my time in the Army, and also met some real bitches. But toughest job?

Check these stories out...

From Jules Crittenden

On Dying And Continuing To Be Alive
Hal Moore, 1/7 Cav CO at the Ia Drang in 1965 and co-author with Joe Galloway of “We Were Soldiers Once … ” and the forthcoming “We Are Soldiers Still,” with a pre-Memorial Day essay on making peace at USA Today: How Enemies Became Friends:

When the blood of any war soaks your clothes and covers your hands, and soldiers die in your arms, every breath forever more becomes an appeal for a greater peace, unity and reconciliation.

It was Vietnam. I was their commander and accountable for them. We charged the enemy with bayonets fixed to our rifles in face-to-face combat. I still hear the ugly sounds of war. …


… I still see the boots of my dead sticking out from under their ponchos, laces tied one last time by their precious fingers. … I still carry the wounded to the helicopters as they bled, screamed and begged to live one more day … and I still hold those who die in my arms, with their questioning eyes dreading death, as they called for their mothers … their eyes go blank and my war-crusted fingers close their eyelids. The blood of my dead soldiers will not wash from my hands. The stains remain.


And this one from Neputnus Lex

Changed utterly
May 24th, 2008 · 1 Comment · Military
Read the story of Ross McGinnis - son, juvenile delinquent, soldier, hero, Medal of Honor winner:

On the morning of Dec. 4, Spc. McGinnis was riding atop a Humvee, manning a 50-caliber machine gun as the truck rolled through the violent Baghdad neighborhood of Adhamiyah.

An insurgent on a rooftop threw a grenade at the Humvee. Spc. McGinnis tried to bat it away, but the explosive dropped into the Humvee, where the other four soldiers essentially were trapped.

Spc. McGinnis shouted a warning to them, then jumped back inside the vehicle.

“An average man would have leapt out of the gunner’s cupola to safety,” the Army said in its official account. “McGinnis decided to stay with his crew. Unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his own life … he threw his back over the grenade.”



Yeah, I shouldn't be mad at some lady whose proud of her service...but toughest job? I think not.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY.

Labels:

|