Saturday, August 19, 2006

Weird Stuff I Can't Understand

Militalia or Military relics consist of old uniforms, equipment, insignia,etc...etc. Being the military geek that I am, I collect military patches, more specifically aviation unit patches...especially US Army Aviation (for donations to my collection feel free to e-mail me...I also buy!). Any how...in an attempt to add to my collection of aviation insignia I attended today, a militalia show in Belton, TX.

On display at the show were all manner of uniforms, helmets, boots equipment of various types but very few patches...and none I wished to purchase. But also on display were people of a type that I have seen at these types of shows before but have never been able to resolve in my mind at least why on earth someone would do what these people do.

What is it you say, that these people are doing? There are many folks who seem to enjoy dressing in these old uniforms as well as selling them. That in and of itself is not especially troubling, sad but not troubling. The people that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up are the guys who stand there in full Nazi regalia...Waffen SS...the whole nine yards and sell all sorts of Nazi crap to all comers.

First I'm not even going to assert that these people are in fact Nazis, I'm going to assume that they view wearing these uniforms as some sort of historical tableau, like a civil war re-en actor. The problem I have with the whole deal is what that uniform they are wearing represents...those ideals are so heinous and evil I can't understand why someone would willingly dawn one of those uniforms unless you were appearing in a WWII movie or production of some sort...but then again I'm the guy who as a child I refused to build models of German or Japanese aircraft...because they were the bad guys. But I guess I'm kinda weird like that.
|