Sunday, July 23, 2006

Shepard Smith Artillery Spotter

I turn on the news this AM to get my Kerin Chetry fix and what to my wondering eyes should appear but Shep Smith of FOX News giving a live report from the middle east, telling us that rockets have just been fired at Israeli troops/ towns and what these rockets are landing near to.

I'm sure someone at the Hezbollah HQ appreciates the info.

This is a classic example of why many in the military dislike and mistrust the press. Even though Mr. Smith stated several times that he didn't want to violate Israeli censorship laws and give information useful to the Hezbollah...I'm pretty sure he gave useful info up...don't know about breaking Israel's law however.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he did this on purpose. In fact he said several times he didn't want to do specifically what he did, and therein lies the rub. If you don't really understand military affairs how can a reporter decide accurately on his/her own what is or isn't hurtful to one side or another? If they are supposed to be neutral observers in this whole thing (which they steadfastly profess to be) how can they justify actions which amount to them being forward observers for one side in the conflict?

If anyone needed evidence that the press needs training in the art of war...there you have it. It's also interesting, to me at least, how the various networks are sending multiple reporters to cover this new/old conflict (which is newsworthy), but as far as I know no big name TV person has been to Iraq since that reporter got blowed up back in the spring...oh well, if any of you (by you I mean reporters) manage to get your asses back in country anytime this fall, through the fall of '07 get in touch with me, I'll make sure you've got a cot available. You might actually find something to report...and maybe you won't put us in danger when you do.
|